Sunday 13 February 2011

Week 4, 05.02.11 – 11.02.11 (Professional Blog) - Mandy Brown

This week has been more structured than that of previous weeks.  I have attended University lectures and started my day-care placement.  University lectures differ somewhat to that of Stranmillis University where a three-hour lecture began considerably early at 08:15AM.  The lecture was based on the Social Services System in Finland, including Education and Health and Social Care.  Although the lecture appeared long; group work with students from other cultures proved useful when comparing the systems in Northern Ireland, England, Poland and Finland.  This was a great opportunity to discover that education systems vary from country to country (for example, starting age at pre-schools, primary and upper secondary schools.)

In addition to the above, my initial observation of my placement was that it appeared to be a very relaxed environment.  On my arrival I was warmly welcomed with an offering of coffee and porridge (excess food from the children’s breakfast!).  I was informed that I would be in the ‘Bumblebees’ pre-school room (a group of 6 year-olds).  It is required that the day-care provide 4 hours pre-school per day, usually from 9AM to 1PM.  During this time the children have one hour formal learning, seated at desks to prepare them for primary school.  This provision is funded by the government.  However, if a child stays for the afternoon session in ‘day-care’, parents are required to pay for this.  One surprising observation is that the setting does not have a secure coded lock on the front door, therefore anyone can enter.  I had a discussion with the teacher about this and we concluded that perhaps Finland has not had as many child protection issues as Northern Ireland; hence there is no need for this.

In comparison to my employment experiences in Northern Ireland (day-care, primary school, after school clubs) I am amazed at the provision provided in this setting.  Although the general routine appears to be similar, there is a greater emphasis on outdoor play and health.  An example of this is that although the weather conditions are cold with snow, the children are fully equipped with suitable clothes.  In regard to health, the children are not given any sweet desserts unless it is a party day.  The children are given large portions of dinner and from what I have observed so far, they eat everything they are given with no complaints.  They also have their own individual packets of sugar-free chewing gum which they chew after eating lunch.  According to the teacher, this is common across Finland for adults alike – for good dental health!

Finally, I have been impressed by the quality of the setting in general.  It is always clean, tidy and has excellent facilities for the children.  For example, desks, chairs and toys are made from wood.  These new experiences have opened my mind to the possibility that Northern Ireland is a long way from introducing this type of provision.  I look forward to further experiences in my setting so that I can consider more similarities and differences.

 Picture 1: Pre-school facilities - wooden desks/chairs.

Picture 2: Beds for 'resting time' after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment